Thank you for your interest in ShanghaiTech Summer Lab program! The 2021 and 2022 Summer Lab programs are suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We will update the information as soon as the pandemic eases up.
A young university located in Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park, one of China’s most innovative zones, ShanghaiTech offers vibrant study and research environment for students all over the world. Every summer, ShanghaiTech provides a unique research opportunity for a small number of undergraduates from partner institutions, organized and coordinated by the Office of International Affairs.
This is a non-credit program for international students who seek to perform summer research in a different cultural setting under the guidance of our professors (80% of them earned their PhD abroad and around 15% of them are foreign nationals). You can choose a lab of research interest in almost all our schools and institutes, withachance to do experiments on world-class research facilities and national science platforms which are not easily accessible for students outside ShanghaiTech. To enrich students’ experience,the Office of International Affairs also organizes a free cultural tour in the city or the nearby water town, as well as an exciting visit to domestic and international companies in the Hi-Tech Park.
Here is the information about the 2020 Summer Lab program. We offer two options of duration:
1. Six-week session: 2020 July 6th to August 14th
2. Eight-week session: 2020 July 6th to August 28th
How to Apply
Please fill in the Visiting Student Application
and submit the following documents to the coordinator at your home university:
2. Statement of Purpose
3. One Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member
The coordinator will then send the list of applicants to ShanghaiTech.
- You may be approached for a Skype interview if a ShanghaiTech professor deems it necessary.
- If admitted, you will receive an acceptance letter via email. Your coordinator will also be informed.
- You will have about one week to accept the offer. An official invitation letter for visa application will be sent once you confirm your acceptance.
Students wishing to participate in the Summer Lab Program must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current undergraduate student enrolled at a ShanghaiTech partner university
- Have completed at least one academic year at their home university
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale)
- Good English communication skills (no Chinese language skills required)
All participating students are required to apply for a student visa from the Chinese consulate in their home country. Students who will study in China for less than 180 days will usually be given single-entry X2 visa.
According to the regulations issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education, international students are required to purchase mandatory Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China before entering the university. The insurance fee is about 240 RMB for two months. The Office of International Affairs will inform students of the detailed information.
Tuition and registration fees are WAIVED for students from partner universities.
- Participants will live in on-campus dormitories. Housing is allocated on a random basis. In most instances, visiting students will share a room with one or two other students.
- All our dormitory buildings are air-conditioned. There is a small shower room inside each dorm, and shared restrooms are in the corridor of each floor. In each building, there are common rooms on the first floor, a public laundry, microwave ovens and refrigerators. Mattress or bedding is NOT provided.
- The accommodation fee for a six-week session is 150 USD and for an eight-week session is 200 USD.
The university cafeterias serve 3 meals a day, with options for Chinese and western food. Meals can be purchased using rechargeable campus card.
Cancellation and Refund
If you wish to withdraw from the 2020 ShanghaiTech Summer Lab Program, please inform the coordinator at your home university and the contact person of ShanghaiTech Office of International Affairs before June.
Cultural Tour/Company Visit
The Office of International Affairs will organize a free cultural tour in the city or the nearby water town, as well as an exciting visit to domestic and international companies in the Hi-Tech Park. All program participants are welcome to join.
Certificate of Completion
Participating students who successfully complete summer research will be given a certificate of completion from ShanghaiTech University.
Contact Person: QIAN Lele, Office of International Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org