Xiaoyang Zhu is a Professor of Chemistry at Columbia University. He received a BS degree from Fudan University in 1984 and a PhD from the University of Texas at Austin in 1989. After postdoctoral research with Gerhard Ertl at the Fritz-Haber-Institute, he joined the faculty at Southern Illinois University as an Assistant Professor in 1993. In 1997, he moved to the University of Minnesota as a tenured Associate Professor, later a Full Professor. In 2009, he returned to the University of Texas at Austin as Regents Professor and served as directors of the DOE Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC) and the Center for Materials Chemistry. In 2013, he moved to Columbia University where he remains. His honors include a Dreyfus New Faculty Award, a Cottrell Scholar Award, a Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Award, APS Fellow, Merck Endowed Professorship, Vauquelin Regents Professorship, and many named lectureships. Among his professional activities, he serves on the editorial/advisory boards of Accounts of Chemical Research, Science Advances, Chemical Physics, and Progress in Surface Science, and as a scientific advisor to Brookhaven National Laboratory, ShanghaiTech University, and the Fritz-Haber-Institute of the Max-Planck Society.
Zhu is known for his seminal contributions to the understanding of exciton and carrier dynamics in molecular, nano, and hybrid semiconductors and interface. His discovery of charge transfer excitons at organic semiconductor surfaces and interfaces has played a major role in formulating our understanding on charge separation in organic photovoltaics. He has been a leader in understanding singlet exciton fission, a photophysical phenomenon which may be utilized to increase the power conversion efficiency of solar cells beyond the Shockley-Queisser limit. Most recently, Zhu’s large polaron proposal is solving a major puzzle in hybrid perovskite research and shaping the mechanistic understanding in this very active research field.
• Nicholas R. Monahan, Dezheng Sun, H. Tamura, Kristopher W. Williams, Bolei Xu, Yu Zhong, Bharat Kumar, Colin Nuckolls, Avetik R. Harutyunyan, Gugang Chen, Hai-Lung Dai, D. Beljonne, Yi Rao, X.-Y. Zhu, “Dynamics of the triplet pair state reveals the likely co-existence of coherent and incoherent singlet fission in crystalline hexacene,” Nature Chem. 2017, 9, DOI:10.1038/NCHEM.2665
• Gregory D. Scholes, Graham R. Fleming, Lin X. Chen, Alán Aspuru-Guzik, Andreas Buchleitner, David F. Coker, Gregory S. Engel, Rienk van Grondelle, Akihito Ishizaki, David M. Jonas, Jeff S. Lundeen, James K. McCusker, Shaul Mukamel, Jennifer P. Ogilvie, Alexandra Olaya-Castro, Mark A. Ratner, Frank C. Spano, K. Birgitta Whaley, X.-Y. Zhu, “Utilizing Coherence to Enhance Function in Chemical and Biophysical Systems” Nature, 2017, 538, DOI:10.1038/nature21425
• Haiming Zhu, Kiyoshi Miyata, Yongping Fu, Jue Wang, Prakriti P. Joshi, Daniel Niesner, Kristopher K. Williams, Song Jin, X.-Y. Zhu, “Screening in crystalline liquids protects energetic carriers in hybrid perovskites,” Science 2016, 353, 1409-1413.
• Haiming Zhu, Yongping Fu, Fei Meng, Xiaoxi Wu, Zizhou Gong, Qi Ding, Martin V. Gustafsson, M. Tuan Trinh, Song Jin, X.-Y. Zhu, “Lead halide perovskite nanowire lasers with low lasing thresholds and high quality factors,” Nature Mater. 2015, 14, 636-642.
• Erik Busby, Jianlong Xia, Qin Wu, Jonathan Z. Low, Rui Song, John R. Miller, X-Y. Zhu, Luis M. Campos, Matthew Y. Sfeir, A design strategy for intramolecular singlet fission mediated by charge-transfer states in donor-acceptor systems. Nature Mater. 2015, 14, 426-433.
• Jailaubekov, A. P. Willard, J. Tritsch, W.-L. Chan, N. Sai, R. I. Gearba, L. G. Kaake, K. J. Williams, K. Leung, P. J. Rossky, X.-Y. Zhu, “Hot charge transfer excitons set the time limit for charge separation at donor/acceptor interfaces in organic photovoltaics,” Nature Mater. 2013, 12, 66-73.
• W.-L. Chan, M. Ligges, X.-Y. Zhu, “The energy barrier in singlet fission can be overcome through coherent coupling and entropic gain,” Nature Chem. 2012, 4, 840-845.
• W.-L. Chan, M. Ligges, A. Jailaubekov, L. Kaake, L. Miaja-Avila, X.-Y. Zhu, “Observing the multi-exciton state in singlet fission and ensuing ultrafast multi-electron transfer,” Science 2011, 334, 1541-1545.
• W. A. Tisdale, K. J. Williams, B. A. Timp, D. J. Norris, E. S. Aydil, X.-Y. Zhu, “Hot electron transfer from semiconductor nanocrystals,” Science 2010, 328, 1543-1547.